Michael S. Beck
educationB.A. | University of Michigan (2012) J.D. | Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (2015)
Michael S. Beck is an associate in the firm’s litigation group. Michael is an experienced litigator, whose practice focuses primarily on complex commercial and civil litigation in state and federal courts, at both the trial and appellate levels. Michael has represented public and private companies, private equity and other investment firms, and high net worth individuals in a wide variety of litigation issues, including real estate matters, contract and business disputes, securities, antitrust, torts and professional malpractice.
Prior to joining SSRGA, Michael was an associate at Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP in New York. He also interned for The Honorable Richard M. Berman in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Michael’s representative matters from his prior firm include:
• Representing an institution of higher education in a breach of contract involving the opposing party’s backing out of a deal to purchase a commercial building in Manhattan after the outset of the pandemic.
• Defending an international businessman in a dispute regarding an alleged oral partnership relating to an arbitrage for private airplanes. After a two-day bench trial and post-trial briefing in the Southern District of New York, Michael’s team secured a final judgment in favor of client, rejecting plaintiff’s alleged partnership claims.
• Representing member of a closely-held corporation in a dispute over its ownership.
• Representing a lender in a breach of contract dispute with The Royal Bank of Scotland relating to Liverpool Football Club, which was sold to a group led by the owner of the Boston Red Sox
• Defending Teva Pharmaceuticals and its individual directors and officers in defense of one of the largest securities class actions as well as the more than 20 related direct actions, filed on behalf of more than 75 opt-out plaintiffs.
• Defending Teva Pharmaceuticals and its US subsidiary, Actavis, in defending a number of antitrust class actions.
• Representing real estate brokerage in defense of alleged copyright infringement cases related to real estate listings by its agents.
• Representing Hudson Realty Capital in a case involving misconduct in a planned 1,000-acre real estate development in Apex, North Carolina. After filing a complaint seeking redress for defendants’ misconduct, Michael’s team successfully defeated defendants’ motion to move the case to North Carolina, and defendants’ motion to dismiss in its entirety.
• Representing an overseas financial institution seeking to enforce the contractual obligations of the servicer in connection with the institution’s majority participations in a series of secured loans.
Michael received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in 2012 and his Juris Doctor from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in 2015, where he was the Executive Editor of the Cardozo Arts & Entertainment Law Journal.
He is admitted to practice in the States of New York and New Jersey, and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York as well as the District of New Jersey.